Monday, September 17, 2007

A Few Things I Learned This Year At RTB...

A few things I learned at RTB 2007-
Trucks that run on veggie oil need to run hot or they might just decide to stop.
Trucks that run on veggie oil start right back up really quick and are totally awesome.
Subarus are also awesome but when it's midnight and you've been awake since 4:45am you still feel like falling asleep at the wheel.
Shania Twain and Heidi Dwyer work wonders for reviving weary drivers.
Never let your guard down because skunks can be anywhere, anytime.
Dish soap, baking soda, and peroxide are helpful in removing the smell of nasty, sneaky, waiting at your door skunks that attack harmless dogs.
Riding in a van with Saints is extremely therapeutic even the most stressful situations.
A vanload of fast women in tie dyes and designer jeans can be intimidating and sexy all at the same time.
Sometimes it's best not to listen to tired volunteers.
Just because a guy's name is Mr. Huggins and he's wearing a big pink robe, he doesn't have to be slow or a pansy.
Some of the girls enjoyed their legs so much they wished pregnancy on themselves (okay, that was just Chip).
Downhill legs rock!
Rolling legs suck until you approach throngs of blinkers to pass, then they rock too!
The female digestive system is a fragile thing.
Every year I get worse laughs lines from RTB.
Wheel wells don't make good pillows.
Parents may have a slight advantage over non-parents in the sleep department at RTB.
I sleep better in a stuffy van full of my favorite women than in my own bed.
Never under estimate the power of a flushing toilet and working sink.
Torrential rain and gale force winds go away when your leg is only 2.5 miles.
The girls really worship each other, mostly because we always look so damn good (especially in Saints bras).
Broken triathlets walk really funny.
Hogan appreciates dirty stuff more than anyone else I know, "Can you help me get my ticket?" "Hello Kitty needs a woman, stat!"
Cable knit Smartwool socks are really cool.
Sammy has become a great hugger.
Second place isn't so bad when you've run out people to give Fuelbelts to.
Eric knows every word to every Dixie Chick song ever and is not afraid to belt them out.
Ruby is my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Jim Pennington (Springfield College coach) was right when he told me I wouldn't have the same kind of running experience at SLU that I would have had at Springfield. Maybe I would have been an All American, not had so much trouble with boys and booze, and met some nice, quiet, calm friends, but I don't remember seeing a Springfield Alumni All Starz team at RTB!
I love you SLU!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

H DWYER said...

HERE HERE. I LOVE YOU ALL!

AM said...

I second, or is it third that!

Anonymous said...

"Hello Kitty needs a woman, Stat!"
Truer words were never spoken...Hello Kitty and RTB is like the running version of "Brokeback Mountain". Great Race!! See everybody next year.

Love,

The Huggins

Sammy said...

Mr. Huggins,

Get your team to 100 on 100 next year! Half the distance, half the team. One month before RTB. Right next door.

-Sammy

http://www.100on100.org/

H DWYER said...

We Love the Huggins!